Thursday, November 12, 2009

"Know It All"

In the article, "Know It All", the author of the story talks about the pros and cons of using Wikipedia, and whether this website, and online database is truly reliable, or is more of a phony. After reading what the author had to say, I am a lot more weary about using this site, and now knowing that anyone can change the information and "facts" on any part of the site. Anyone in the world is allowed access to this popular page, and even White House Representatives have been caught changing and tampering with information. As a site that I regularly visit to figure out questions i have, I will now be a lot more careful about the research I get from Wikipedia. Not only do you not know who has posted the information on the topic you are researching, due to that most postings are left "anonymous", but you also aren't given the credentials and background of the person who has done the posting.
Then on the other hand, there are true postings, that have been posted by superior and well educated people, and unfortunately their postings can be tampered and messed with by young, and immature readers. They mention this in an article about Justin Timberlake, and how one entry accused him of losing his house in 2002, due to not paying his taxes. It is things like this that give Wikipedia its bad name. If it was up to me, i wouldn't let people join unless they had proof of some sort of degree on what they hoped to talk about. If this was the case, Wikipedia would be a much more accurate and trustworthy resource for students like me and my peers. It would not only become the new encyclopedia, but one of the most important fact resources of our time. I often use Wikipedia to answer everyday random questions, like "What is honey made from?" or health questions like "Why do i have a rash on my stomach?". It has become a great tool for me when I am in a hurry and need quick, helpful answers. I feel there needs to be restrictions on who can edit these websites, but also give onlookers a good place for finding good information.

No comments:

Post a Comment